Beat the Peak is a free, voluntary program encouraging members to shift electric use away from the peak-use hours between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. every day from June through September. The price PEC pays for electricity rises sharply during those times, so Beat the Peak allows members to help PEC reduce costs associated with power. You can be part of the team – and just for enrolling, you’ll be entered into a drawing for a new Energy Star washing machine!
In 2012, the cost of power accounted for 67 percent of PEC's total operating expenses. By working together, PEC and its members can Beat the Peak by reducing the power consumed during those peak-demand hours. All it takes is making some simple changes at home, including:
- Raising the thermostat in your home by 3 degrees during peak hours.
- Shifting your use of hot water away from the peak-demand hours.
- Avoiding the use of major appliances between the peak hours of 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
Registering for Beat the Peak is easy. You can register online by logging in to your PEC account, going to the Account Preferences tab and selecting Beat the Peak. Our friendly member services agents can quickly sign you up if you call our toll-free number at 1-888-554-4732 or visit one of our offices in person. Participants will receive periodic email messages and information that illustrates ways to shift electric use to off-peak hours.
We hope you’ll decide to be a part of the Beat the Peak team. Together, small changes in how we use electricity can have a big impact on PEC’s power costs. You can help!
For program details and more information, download our frequently asked questions. The following terms and conditions apply for the washing machine drawing:
- No purchase is necessary.
- Entrant must be a Pedernales Electric Cooperative member.
- Entrant must be at least 18 years of age.
- Members may enroll anytime between June 3 and September 30, but they must be enrolled in the program on September 30 to be entered in the drawing.
- The winner will be randomly selected at the end of the Beat the Peak program.
- PEC employees, their dependents and PEC directors are ineligible to win.