Reporting Power Outages
Call or report online
When you experience a power outage you want your service restored as quickly as possible. So do we. To help us restore service as quickly and efficiently as possible it's important that you notify us by calling our toll-free outage reporting number — 1-888-883-3379 — or by reporting your outage via SmartHub, our new online account management system. SmartHub allows you to use your computer or your smartphone or tablet to report your issue. Use the link on the right to watch a video explaining how to report an outage via SmartHub web. To report an outage using your mobile device, just tap the "Report an Outage" button in the SmartHub mobile app.
While social media is an excellent way to keep up with outages, we encourage members not to use Facebook or Twitter to report an outage. Our social media channels are not tied into our outage management system.
Before you report
Before calling us to report a power outage, please help us determine if the service problem exists within your home's electrical system or on our system. This could help get your power back on more quickly. Here's what to do:
- Check to see if your neighbors are without electricity. If they also are without service, there's a good chance the problem is on our system. Please call us at 1-888-883-3379 or use SmartHub to report the outage.
- If your neighbor has power and you don't and your homes are served by the same power line, the problem may be within your home's electrical system. Try resetting your home's main disconnect breaker (outside by your meter) by switching the breaker off and then back on. If this doesn't work, check your breaker panel (often in the garage) for tripped breakers and reset them if necessary. If this doesn't work, please call us at 1-888-883-3379 or use SmartHub to report the outage.
- When calling 1-888-883-3379 to report an outage, you'll need your PEC account number or the phone number associated with your PEC account. Sometimes you may also be asked for the following information to help us pinpoint the cause quickly and get crews dispatched efficiently:
- Your full name and address, along with your subdivision or community name.
- The approximate time service was interrupted.
- Whether your neighbors have electricity.
- Any other pertinent information, such as downed electric lines or loud noises that occurred before or after the service disruption.
After you've reported
After you've reported your outage:
- Turn off all electrical appliances that were on when service was disrupted, leaving a lamp on so you'll know when power is restored.
- Turn circuit breakers to major appliances (like your stove) to the "off" position.
- To help preserve food items, leave the doors to your refrigerator and freezer closed.
- Once power is restored, avoid overloading by turning appliances back on in 15-minute intervals.
High-Volume Call Answering System
Our high-volume automated call answering system helps relay problems to our staff quickly and effectively and tracks restoration efforts, even during major interruptions. When you call us at 1-888-883-3379 to report an outage, the system pinpoints the problem based on your PEC account number or the telephone number you have on file with us. If your phone number has changed, please contact us.