PEC Strategic Plan
Letter from the board president
For nearly 80 years, PEC has proudly served the Texas Hill Country with safe, reliable electricity at an affordable cost to our members. Our commitment to our core principles remains as steadfast today as it was decades ago, even as our industry faces tremendous change. That change is being driven by such factors as increased natural gas dependency, renewable energy growth, consumer-centric technologies, and state and federal regulation.
The accompanying strategic plan builds upon PEC’s strong foundation by positioning the cooperative for continued success within an evolving industry. In this plan, set in place through 2020, I am confident that our members can clearly identify the steps we are taking to ensure that we maintain the exceptional service they have come to expect. As the industry adjusts, this strategic plan will serve as a guide to help keep our cooperative operating at the highest possible level.
As a board, it is our duty to guide our dedicated and professional staff, positioned across all of our business units, towards the execution of this strategic plan, so that we can meet our members needs in the midst of the challenges presented by an ever-changing electrical grid.
District 2 Director/President
Vision, Mission and Values
We are committed to delivering low-cost, reliable and safe energy solutions for the benefit of our members.
PEC is recognized as a high performance organization, providing exceptional value to our members and communities through safe, reliable and innovative service.
Our values serve as the organizational foundation that guides our decisions and direction. Our core values are Safety, Accountability, Integrity, Service, Engagement and Innovation.
Over the next four years, PEC will be recognized as an industry leader by earning high member satisfaction.
Strategic Themes & Initiatives
PEC’s core business will always be our priority. We must provide excellent quality in power, keep rates low, and meet member needs through exceptional service. The strategic initiatives build on these core business areas and increase member value while concurrently advancing the cooperative as an industry leader.
Optimized Operations and Grid Modernization
- Initiative 1: Technology Planning
- Develop a technology plan that outlines the cooperative’s existing technologies and integrates emerging technologies to streamline system planning and coincide with PEC’s energy/power planning.
- Initiative 2: Demand Side Management
- Develop demand-side management programs, allowing for energy efficiency and conservation measures that provide savings to the cooperative.
- Initiative 3: Power Supply Planning and Diversity
- Expand the energy management program to show long-term planning in power supply that includes options for pursuing cost-beneficial renewable energy.
- Initiative 4: Distributed Energy Resources (DER)
- Pursue DER opportunities that align with the technology plan developed, and provide system benefits that are cost-beneficial and yield member-centric solutions.
- Initiative 5: Enhanced System Planning
- Develop enhanced system planning that provides a long-term outlook and considers continued cooperative growth.
- Initiative 6: Process Excellence (Business Planning)
- Develop an enterprise-wide business process improvement function to increase productivity and reduce costs, encompassed by a risk-management framework.
Member Engagement and Strategic Load Growth Planning
- Initiative 7: Member Engagement Opportunities
- Develop and execute a plan that shows how the cooperative will engage with the members and emphasizes opportunities to learn about their needs and satisfaction level. The cooperative will additionally provide programs that help members achieve their energy goals.
- Initiative 8: Commercial and Industrial Member Initiatives
- Develop programs that interact with and help meet the needs of commercial and industrial members.
- Initiative 9: Strategic Energy Sales
- Pursue cooperative strategic energy sales that help increase PEC’s load factor, thereby maximizing the potential of cooperative assets.
- Initiative 10: Broadband Opportunities
- Conduct a feasibility study to assess the opportunity that could exist in a fiber and/or wireless network (broadband) throughout the service territory that enables a smart grid and could provide affordable data access services to the members.
- Initiative 11: Revenue Generating Services
- Pursue revenue generating services that enhance PEC’s operations and capabilities by leveraging its resources and reducing costs.
- Initiative 12: Facilities Management and Planning
- Develop and execute a facilities plan that will meet the future needs of the cooperative.
- Initiative 13: Workforce Planning
- Develop a strategic workforce plan that ensures PEC can attract, retain and develop employees with skills and competencies that achieve PEC’s goals.
- Initiative 14: Emergency and Catastrophic Planning
- Develop/update a robust emergency and catastrophic plan that encompasses areas beyond grid infrastructure and simultaneously incorporates areas that impact exceptional services to the members.
- Initiative 15: Community Involvement
- Develop and execute a community engagement and corporate presence plan that provides value to the members.